Friday, October 5, 2012

No Fish Tacos with Coleslaw

10/5/12 Boulder, CO

Vegan Fish Taco
No Fish Tacos
   No matter where I am, I always dream of somewhere else.  I got the bug. The great big travel bug.  I love Colorado, and think it's spectacular views might beat every other state.  But, more than anything,  I get tired of my job, and immediately get the urge to move on.  Working seasonal jobs helps me make that possible.  I've been day dreaming a lot lately...about Southern California.  I lived in San Diego for a few years and it really left a warm place in my heart.  Sun, beach, sandstone cliffs, tropical flora, an abundance of avocados, fresh tortillas, and great coffee shops.
  This no fish taco with coleslaw recipe is totally inspired by Southern California.  You will have leftover coleslaw that will be great on sandwiches and on its own as a side.  It's a killer vegan slaw.   I make it all the time and put it on everything.

No Fish Tacos

Vegan, Gluten Free coleslaw
makes 6 tacos

For the Slaw: Vegan, Gluten Free
2 c. red cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, julienned
1/4 c. vegan mayo (I use Earth Balance Mindful Mayo.  It's the only vegan mayo I like.  It rules.)
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp cidar vinegar
1/4 tsp of the following:  garlic powder, celery seed*, cayenne pepper (optional), pepper, onion powder, red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp of salt or 1 tbsp miso paste
1 tsp sugar

-mix it all together and let it sit covered for an hour or so, to develop the flavors.  

* I use celery seed instead of celery all the time, because it tastes exactly like celery but it fits in a very small space while celery is kinda bulky.  It's an RV small space thing.  Feel free to use a chopped celery stalk instead of the seeds.

For the Tacos: Vegan
6 taco shells
4-6 oz of firm tofu, cut into 1/4" strips (firmest if previously frozen, then thawed)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c. cooked rice
3 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
1/4 c. cornstarch or flour
1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs
1 c. fresh baby spinach
1 lime
1 c. vegan coleslaw

- Marinate tofu strips in soy sauce or liquid aminos.  In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and breadcrumbs.  Heat pan med/high, add oil. Dredge marinated tofu in breadcrumb mixture.  Sauté breaded tofu a few minutes on each side, until golden brown.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Add spinach to the pan for a few seconds, just until it juuuuust starts to wilt.  Remove from heat.  Divide up rice among the 6 tacos, same with the spinach, then tofu, then the slaw on top.  Squeeze lime juice over the slaw.  Serve immediately.


  Like me on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment