Saturday, September 8, 2012

Quinoa Red Chard Wraps


9/01/12  Boulder Canyon- Boulder, CO


   Ok we’re at day 2.  Moved into an RV yesterday.  Yesterday we were moving out of our apartment, and shopping for RV essentials all day.  Then we ordered pizza from the vegan friendly local sandwich shop because all my stuff was not organized yet, and crammed into inconvenient places.
  We don’t eat out very often at all.  My husband and I love to cook and frankly, we like our creations and meal options much better than restaurants we’ve tried.
  So anyway, today Sean and I worked 6am-noon. We work together at a hotel restaurant during breakfast shift, watching people scarf bacon, sausage, and eggs in massive quantities (don’t get me started on how I feel about that, ugh).  But that’s how we make a living for now. Anyway, so we got out of work pretty early, and I went to town organizing my kitchen because that’s where I need to feel at home, ya know?  During that time, Sean worked on installing an inverter so that our outlets work on our RV battery, which is charged by solar power.  It is very important to us to be as self sufficient as possible in this RV.  It feels really good for the soul knowing that we are living simply and green with only a few modern conveniences that are powered by the sun!  ...and a little propane.  Ahh but what can you do.
   Ok so for dinner tonight:  I kinda want a mostly raw meal, but I also want to use my oven for the 1st time, and damnit, I also want my leftover quinoa in there.   So here’s where I went with that...
Vegan, Gluten Free

Quinoa Red Chard Wraps 
(serves 2) Vegan, Gluten Free

1 c white beans
salt & pepper
dash of garlic powder
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp red wine vinegar
 tsp orange juice
½ tsp vegan sriracha sauce
6 leaves swiss chard
½ avocado, chopped
¼ cucumber, chopped
¾ c cooked quinoa
1 corn on the cob
1 plum tomato, chopped

Put the corn, leaves & all, in a 400 degree oven and bake for 20 min. Let cool a bit, then remove
leaves.  Stand corn on end and cut off kernels.

In a seperate bowl, mash white beans with a fork, mix in some salt & pepper, garlic powder,
nutritional yeast, red wine vinegar, orange juice, vegan sriracha sauce
For the chard leaves, I cut off the thickest part of the stem/vein at the very bottom, then with my
thumb and index finger, I smooshed the rest of the stem/vein all the way up the leaf, so it’s not
so stiff.
On each leaf,  at one end of leaf, spread on ⅙ th  bean mixture, spoon on ⅙ th the quinoa,
avocado, corn, cucumber, tomato
Roll chard, like a burrito, tucking in ends as you go.  I dipped in extra sriracha and served with corn chips.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment