Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pioneerin'

Me & The Pioneer.






I am a vegan home cook.  I’m a foodie.  I live in an RV.


It is very important to my husband and I, that we avoid foods that are processed, pre-packaged, and/or containing preservatives.  We stick to a strict plant-based mostly local & organic diet.  

Most of my recipes call for ingredients common to me, but I would imagine not so common to your average RV pantry.  I try to make most of my food from scratch.  I use lots of fresh produce, whole grains, and have quite the spice shelf for a camper kitchen.

Grocery Shopping


My husband and I have lived all over the country, and at this point a major factor in choosing a city to live in, is the grocery store options of that area.  Sounds crazy.  Well living near a natural foods grocery store with an awesome bulk section makes being a vegan, no preservative eating, local, organic, fresh, spicy, home cook  soooo much easier, even on the wallet!  Bulk sections carry dried beans, grains, nuts, dried fruits, flours, legumes, and spices.  Without wasteful packaging, all the things your vegan heart desires cost much less and you can get it in the exact quantities you want.  Everything you eat, besides fresh produce is there.


From Scratch Basics


When I have some time to dedicate to cooking,  I choose to make some staple foods that I then bottle or freeze, for easy use later in my everyday quicker dinners.  For example, I make a loaf of seitan and then slice it and freeze it.  It is much cheaper than buying seitan, and I can just take out the amount I need for a meal and leave the rest frozen.  A loaf can last me over a month.
Other staples I make and bottle, bag, refrigerate, or freeze:
Beans (purchased dried, then pressure cooked, then frozen in baggies), salad dressing, hot sauce, and veggie burgers



All recipes are on Petitchef

No comments:

Post a Comment