Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hot Sauce & Bloody Marys


Desert Hot Springs, CA


At this point I think we all know how much I love spicy food.  For some reason my stomach can't handle a mild pepper at all.  I eat one bite of an innocent little bell pepper and I'm doubled over in pain for hours (some kind of sick joke being played on me?).  But if the pepper is so hot it makes you tear up or better yet, go numb, my body can handle it, no problem.  What's up with that?  Remind me, because I do have a recipe for a stuffed bell pepper that is so good it's worth it to me to be in severe pain….sweet delicious pain.

In the meantime I shouldn't deny you my homemade fresh hot sauce recipe,  which I put in oh, just about everything.  I want you to embrace the spicy in yourself.   You can handle it.  I believe in you.  Aaaand as an extra bonus, I also should not deny you the recipe for my favorite homemade spicy cocktail, because you've worked so hard on learning to love the spicy heat.  You deserve it.  

RV Hot Sauce
(oil free, vegan, gluten free, soy free *raw variation)

1½ cups distilled white vinegar
7-10 jalepeno peppers, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp ground cayenne pepper 
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 tsp salt

Process until pureed.  Store in the refrigerator in a jar with lid up to 4-6 weeks. 

*For a completely raw hot sauce, replace vinegar with raw apple cider vinegar, and use fresh cayenne.

oil free hot sauce, vegan bloody mary, gluten free hot sauce, soy free hot sauce, raw hot sauce, vagan hot sauce


RV Bloody Mary
(oil free, vegan) makes 1 16 oz. cocktail

16 oz. glass of ice
1 shot vodka
dash black pepper
dash ground chipotle pepper
1 tbsp RV Hot Sauce
dash celery seed, or celery for garnish
½ tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
1 tsp liquid aminos (omit if using a high sodium tomato juice)
1" wedge of lime juice, another for garnish
fill the rest of the glass with tomato juice

Stir and garnish with whatever you please!
Garnish ideas include: wedge of lime/lemon, olives, celery, strip of cucumber, caper berry, or all of the above.
Enjoy!

* For those of you who want the bloody mary without the heat (I admit, I'm slightly disappointed...but I guess you must have tried), definitely omit the chipotle powder and ease up on the hot sauce.  


No comments:

Post a Comment