Sunday, December 30, 2012

Hoppin' John Good Luck Salad

Charleston, SC

  Since I've been spending the last month in the south, I'm going with a favorite southern New Years tradition.  Black eyed peas and collard greens symbolize good luck and prosperity for the new year.  I made this dish last year for a New year's eve party, and I must admit, 2012 did me good!  I've been blessed with a beautiful new nephew this year, a healthy family, traveling to new places, exploring, enjoying life, and living my dreams in an RV.  What more could I ask for?   I wish you all an adventurous, healthy, and amazing new year.  Happy 2013!

Happy New Year!  Hoppin' John Good Luck Salad


Hoppin' John Good Luck Salad

1 large bunch collard greens, remove veins, chopped (about 5 cups)
2 cups cooked rice
4 or 5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked black eyed peas
1/2 cup pickled cherry peppers, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil, separated (1 tbsp & 1 tbsp)
salt & pepper
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp fennel seed

Over medium heat in a large pan, sauté 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic, cherry peppers, vinegar for about 3 minutes.  Add collard greens and some salt & pepper.  Sauté just until greens wilt slightly.  Remove from heat.

In a bowl add rice, black eyed peas, 1 tbsp olive oil, liquid smoke, red pepper flakes, onion powder, smoked paprika, and fennel seed.  Stir to combine.  Add the greens mixture, and stir it all together.

Happy New Year!

Pin it! 

Like me on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment