Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lentil "Meatloaf" Muffins

9/18/12 Vedauwoo, WY

  We finally hit the road in the Pioneer for our 2 days off work.  It was the pioneer's 1st real voyage.  Very exciting.  Sean & I have been dreaming about visiting Vedauwoo for some rock climbing, scrambling, general exploring, and adventure. It was the perfect place for all of that.  

Vedauwoo, WY

  Oh and how convenient is living in an RV?  All the comforts of home & a stunning view out the front door.  I can bring ALL my shoes on vacation!  I've always wanted to do that.  Not to mention all my food supplies.  I love camping, but I want more than a small cooler's worth of food to bring.  I want to bring my whole kitchen.  So I did!
  
  I often have minimal room in the RV fridge for leftovers.  This forces me to make meals using my leftovers so I don't have to waste anything.  Today, I looked in the fridge and I had leftover cooked lentils and leftover tomato sauce from a pasta dish the other night.  I decided to make a lentil loaf with them. Much like a meatloaf but without the meat.  It's a hearty flavorful dish great with a homemade gravy or even just a little ketchup.  I thought the meal should be pre-portioned so I could easily freeze what we don't eat, so I baked it in muffin cups.

Lentil "Meatlof" Muffins

They're cute, aren't they?


Lentil "Meatloaf" Muffins

(makes 12-15 muffins)

4 c. cooked lentils (brown, green, french, or dahl)  I used dahl here.
1 tbsp flax seed meal
3/4 vegetable broth
1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried sage
1 c. Vital wheat gluten flour
3/4 c. breadcrumbs
1 c. crushed tomatoes (or leftover tomato sauce)
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp fresh parsley

In a small bowl:
mix broth, worcestershire, tomato sauce, ketchup, & flax seed meal

In a large bowl:
Mix lentils, dried parsley, cumin, paprika, nutritional yeast, black pepper, sage, vital wheat gluten flour, bread crumbs, salt, baking powder, fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425
Pour wet ingredients into dry, and mix with a fork, smashing some of the lentils, combine well. 

Spoon mixture into muffin cups.  Fill them completely with a little extra heaping over the top of the muffin cup

Bake at 425 about 15 min. Turn heat to 350.   Bake for another 25-30 minutes until golden brown.  Let rest removed from heat about 5 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment